Change management is the discipline that drives organization outcomes and success through preparation, equipping and supporting individuals to adopt change.
Levels of change management
Individual change management
This entails what people need to change, the experience it brings to them and the help they need to transition.
Initiative or organizational change management
It entails identification of the individuals who will need to change to fit in a given organization project, how they will need to change and the training required to enable them adopt the change.
Enterprise change management capability
It is an organizations core competency that ensures the organization is able to adapt to the ever changing business environment through competitive differentiation. It is vital as it ensures the organization and the individuals are quick in responding to changes in the market.
Steps to a successful change
Professor John p kotter came up with eight steps to successful change as outlined below;
- Create urgency among the individuals on the need for change. This motivates the people.
- Form a change coalition by bringing together and securing support from influential individuals in the organization.
- Envision the change by Identifying the values and strategies that will lead to the change.
- Powerfully and frequently communicate and demonstrate the vision.
- Identify and eliminate barriers preventing the change
- Create short term goals and reward the key individuals in achieving the set targeted. This acts as a motivating to the staff.
- Ensure continuous development by improving the products.
- Make the change part of the organization culture.