A cartogram refers to a map through which statistical information are represented in different manner viz. shades, dots, pictograms, columns. The regional distribution of data viz. distripution of rainfalls in various parts of a country, deposits of minerals in various regions, density of population in various geographical areas etc. are well presented through this type of diagram. For this purpose, first of all, a map is drawn for the broad area and then the different parts of its regions are identified precisely with reference to the geographical verity. The given data are then represented through this by use of appropriate symbols or marks.
- Like pictograms, this type of diagrams looks attractive and interesting.
- They given geographical, or spatial distribution of data which enriches one’s knowledge in geography.
- They leave a lasting impression in the minds of observers.
- The drawal of cartogram is very difficult as it involves the drawal of a map of a country, or a state.
- They need the drawal of some pictograms also.
- They give only an approximate idea of the problem which may not be sufficient for exhaustive study.